Monday, January 18, 2010

‘Being more broadly human and less narrowly Christian’*

I’ve been a Christian ever since I can remember. I associate God with family, church, OCF, daily devotions and Hillsong music. Oh and maybe study if you’re lucky. But if‘the earth is the LORD’s and everything in it’, surely he can be found in other contexts? In other types of music, in other non-western cultures? If ‘the world is the LORD’s and all who live in it’, can He be learnt of from other people (irrespective of their religion), observing their way of life? Can travel and everything it involves grow me as a disciple? I suspect yes; I go to find out.

Thus I travel to find God ‘over there’, to seek him in contexts I’ve never seen Him in before. I don’t want to be a Christian that forever sees God in only church, ministry, bible studies and Hillsong music. By no means are they not important – on the contrary (bar the Hillsong music) I believe they are fundamentals. But not the limits of His revelation to mankind.

*quote stolen from Mark Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment