Saturday, October 10, 2020

Multi-tasking, Messaging and McDonalds

6 weeks ago I took a break from social messaging. I feared I'd crash and burn if not. Say what? We know that over-working, over-training, or struggling to keep 8 kids clean and fed can lead to burn out. But which weakling burns out from sending a few text messages? Me. And, maybe, more of us than we realise. 


Attention is a precursor to love’,  said John-Mark Comer in his series on 'Unhurrying'*. That is, 

We give attention to what we love, and 
We come to love that which we give attention to.

Pause. What have I given my attention to today, this week, my whole adult life? Does it scare me?

Note the verb give. Though many things vie for our attention, in the end its us that decides who - or what - gets it. We can blame distractions in all their subtlety. But attention is given, not stolen. We think we give it freely, but underneath it often costs.

If I placed any given minute of my life under the microscope, I’d see my attention split between several different things. After all, I am a woman: I pride myself in multitasking. I’m not about to give up this super-power any time soon.

But whilst multitasking may be the hallmark of efficiency in many areas of life, I’m not sure if we should be applying it to our relationships, namely, our messaging. Multi-tasking whilst messaging surely isn’t the hallmark of loving relationships. And  surely ‘efficiency’ isn’t the goal of loving relationships. But this is how we function; what we have come to accept as normal – because… we see no other alternative. 

Think for a second: the difference between typing an assignment or typing is condolences is… merely switching tabs on your internet browser. The difference between scrolling on Facebook, scrolling through meeting minutes or scrolling through the conversation on your family chat is…just flicking between apps. Our brains treat them all the same way. Our brains don’t have time to treat them any differently. The default setting is to filter, skim read and pay only partial attention - lest something more interesting pops up. 

I’m no psychologist, but I imagine that our brains are meant to function differently when we are engaged in something relational vs tasks such as work/chores/study. Perhaps different settings are required or the emotive centre gets an extra boost of blood - surely something should change. The problem is, we spend all our waking hours engaged in multiple conversations and other non-communicative tasks at the same time. Everything – all the input - looks the same to our brain: we don’t so much as change body position or take a breath between clicks and taps. No wonder we feel frazzled and all-over-the-place. No wonder we can’t remember which jokes/comments/photos belonged to which conversation. Of course we thought we sent confirmation to the boss (when in fact we replied our mother).

There is a lot of talk of mindful eating nowadays. Rather than snacking 24/7 or wolfing down McDonalds in the car, we’re encouraged to cook a nutritious meal, sit down to eat and chew >20 times before swallowing (wow, we’ve got to the stage where we take courses on how to sit down and eat???). We’ve realised (gosh, how smart scientists are these days!) the physical and mental health benefits of eating how our ancestors did.

What snacking is to nutrition, fragmented messaging is to our relationships. In small quantities, to tie us over, and get something done, they’re absolutely fine. Fun, even. But if they make up the bulk of our diet or communication, it leaves us feeling, well, how I felt two months ago. Saturated, but empty. Like I can’t keep up, and I never will. Most of us know the how it’s like to ‘fail’ at a diet. I feel like I’m ‘failing’ my friends. They deserve better than my partial attention, but how else do I manage the inbox overload? 

Whilst my Facebook feed is bombarded with suggestions of healthy meal kits, nutrition workshops and raw-food vegan diets, what I really want – and perhaps what we all need - is a course on ‘mindful messaging’. Is there a realistic alternative to dismembered communication?

If the opening definition of attention is true...could it be that we are losing our capacity to love?

____________

*https://bridgetown.church/teaching/unhurrying-with-a-rule-of-life/the-case-for-a-digital-asceticism/

No comments:

Post a Comment