Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Largo in Lockdown

 I first learnt this Largo from Bach’s Sonata III two decades ago. It was the simple, accompanied version. Much like life back then: simple and social.

And then 2 months ago, as if something got into me, I suddenly decided to re-learn the piece. This time in its original solo - and much harder - version. How fitting and descriptive of lockdown, I thought.

A short time in, it sounded so terrible that I gave up and switched to something more ‘manageable’. The result is the Sarabande which I posted earlier 

In my childhood music theory lessons, we learnt ‘Largo’ means ‘a very slow tempo’. I passed my theory exams alright, but looking at the flurry of my life from then til now, did I actually know what that definition meant? And did I deem this too hard because I never slowed down to sound out the chords, repeat one bar over and over or pay attention to the pauses?

It’s not completely finished. I have by no means perfected the piece or the pace. But I feel that in lockdown, I have indeed learnt Largo.




No comments:

Post a Comment