Sunday, October 8, 2017

Plebiscite colours


As a FOB,* ineligible to vote and preoccupied with world poverty and the parliamentary elections in her own country, I have been slightly removed from the uproar. Might I add that New Zealand legalised same-sex marriage in 2013 with some controversy, yes, but no 'voluntary postal vote'. It went through parliament like all other bills and we moved on to more referendum-worthy matters such as...er....changing our national flag. So now Australia has come to the party and with everything I've heard and seen, I couldn't help thinking that: 

If I helped euthanase my elderly mother, if I enticed a married man to leave his wife and kids, if I stole my sister's girlfriend, smoked and drank whilst pregnant, aborted my unborn child, dabbled in drugs,  denied the holocaust, evaded tax, committed suicide or wore socks and sandals to work.... I am sure I would come under less fire and judgement than if I voted 'No' in this plebiscite on 'marriage equality'.

Australian public, I (and even yourselves perhaps) thought you were a pretty chilled bunch: kind to the homeless, protective of possums, welcoming of  kiwis (churs bro!) and refugees (many of whom might very well vote No if they could, you realise?) v

Yet I have seen this turn from an issue of 'rights', 'freedom' and 'love' into one of oppression, intolerance and restriction of speech. 'Hate' is such a strong word, but sadly not inappropriate
to describe the atmosphere here.

Australia, be careful. Are these really your true colours?



*'Fresh Off the Boat'  - ie recent immigrant 

No comments:

Post a Comment