Thursday, August 10, 2017

Machines





Booked myself in for a late night reality check last night and went to Machines, a Melbourne International Film Festival documentary, directed by Rahul Jain.

Basically it was slow, largely wordless filming of factory life in India. There was some dialogue, a welcome relief to the constant whirring of machines, but there could have been more.  Always like to hear what people are thinking, what people are feeling (if they feel at all). Makes them more....human. Bridges the gap between 'us' and 'them'.

I was tired, it had been a full on day off. Like the young boy filmed falling asleep at his post, I found myself closing my eyes, just a little. Some of the clips were quite long. And monotonous. Ok, we get it. They stand there all day sorting cloth. Lets move on - show me something different.

Then I woke up. That's exactly it. The clips are a little longer than we're comfortable with, exceed our child-like attention spans. After 30 secs I'm bored in my cushioned cinema seat watching labourers watching cloth. These guys stand for 12 hour shifts, and some do double shifts, day in, day out to feed the family. I'm working on my popcorn.

Poverty and popcorn. 'Us' and 'them'. Its not just distance that separates - its like we have different existences. Except that the fabric they make are the clothes I wear.  I keep them going. For better or for worse. A reality check indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment