Monday, July 21, 2014

Confessions of a control freak

1 July 2014 Americana, Brazil

And so I've arrived in this country which speaks Portuguese, and I don't. English here is practically useless, and Spanish only slightly less so. which means a lot of the time, I don't know exactly what going on.

Sometimes its quite important to know what going on. (Like, why isn't anyone at the check-in counter? Oh because our 4.30 am flight has been cancelled..)

Other times, its not. Like,  I'm sitting in a car, and all I know is that we're going somewhere to eat something and will return at an unspecified hour (and we'll do it slowly, even). All I'm called upon to do is sit back and enjoy the ride.

Though my hosts are good and trustworthy, I have to admit, for a control freak like me, its a little unsettling.

Is this not a lot like life? Oh how we wish we knew what was going on, all the time. Us human beings were created to question. We're just not very accepting when there are no answers. Or no answers in the language we understand.

But does it always matter?

Depends. If we know Who we're with  - if He is good, if He knows exactly whats going on, now, and every day hereafter -
Then maybe it doesn't.

Sometimes I just need to sit back and enjoy the ride.

1 comment: